Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


This book has been on best seller lists for a while. I always thought about reading it, but when I looked at the description I decided it wasn’t for me. Then I was persuaded to give it a chance. I’m glad I did. This is one of those books you pick up and can’t put down. (I finished it in a weekend.) The best part is The Hunger Games is part of a trilogy so I get two more books to read!

The Hunger Games takes place a few hundred years in the future, yet it seems set in the past. The country of Panem is dictatorship controlled by the Capitol. The surrounding 12 Districts support the Capitol, providing all their resources in order for the Capitol to live in a gluttonous manner. As a way to remind the Districts who’s in charge, the Capitol hosts an event in each where the Districts are forced to send one boy and one girl to compete in a game for survival that is televised across the country. The only way to win is to kill everyone else. If it sounds barbaric, it is. It kind of reminds me of the show Survivor, except these people are not being voted off; they are being killed off.

Katniss comes from the worst District with no hope of winning. But her upbringing secretly gives her an advantage over her foes. Who’s really her ally? Who’s her enemy? The competitors are faced with the challenge of balancing survival versus humanity. There’s suspense at every page as Katniss takes on her competitors and the elements in a struggle to make it to the end.

The author does a great job creating a world that is easy to understand. For the most part, it’s believable and you want to know more. There’s a bit of love intertwined throughout the story, but is it part of the game or true feelings? I think the author does a wonderful job of captivating the reader. This is one of my favorite books of the year. I cannot wait to read the next one, Catching Fire.

My rating for The Hunger Games: 5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment