Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom



My guess is most people have heard of Tuesdays with Morrie. It’s what I would describe as a recent classic. Morrie Schwartz was a professor at Brandeis University who was beloved by many students. As he grew older, he was diagnosed with ALS and forced to retire as his body began to shut down. An article about him in the Boston Globe prompted NBC Nightline to interview him. Mitch Albom, one of his favorite former students, saw him on television and reached out.

Mitch decides to take a break from sports reporting to visit Morrie. Their relationship is rekindled and Mitch visits again. They continue to meet on Tuesdays. Each week they discuss something different such as marriage, death, family, forgiveness, etc. Morrie has so much to share, Mitch has so much to learn, but there is little time left.

Tuesdays with Morrie is straightforward with plenty of life lessons that reads quickly. The layout of the book is smart – it’s laid out like a professor would do, with a syllabus and lessons. I will say that this is not my favorite Mitch Albom book, but I still think it is very good. He is near the top of the list of my favorite authors. His other books include The Five People You Meet in Heaven and Have a Little Faith (maybe I will feature a review on them in the future). 

My rating for Tuesdays with Morrie: 3 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment