Sunday, May 11, 2014

I'm Back - Personal Update

I have so much to say. Where to begin...
  • I haven't been reading. At all. As in zero books read since September.
  • I dated a girl...but ultimately things didn't work out.
  • My friend was on a television show.
  • I coached through another successful high school basketball season.
  • I've accumulated books that I've been meaning to read...9 to be precise.
  • I got in a car accident (I was fine but my car wasn't).
  • I passed and failed actuarial exams.
  • I traveled to New York and Chicago.
  • I shot my lowest career score playing golf.
  • I missed reading.
I failed on many fronts with the whole "Nick's Library". I stopped reading. Which means I stopped blogging. Which means I didn't do an annual review. Which means I didn't send out books as Christmas gifts to all my friends. Fail fail fail.

I've started reading again. I'm on my third book since the beginning of May. Reviews will start back up next week. I actually have a lot planned for the next few months but I have every intention of getting back to once-a-week reviews.

It feels good to read and write again. Really looking forward to it.

P.S. I'm currently reading The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. Thirty pages in, it has a solid chance to be the best book of 2014. I'm not going to post a review for it until the end of the month (a few other reviews are already in line)...but I wanted to share a quote each week in the postscript until the review gets posted. Here's the first one:

"But it became clear very quickly that I'd underestimated how much I liked him. Not him, perhaps, but the fact that I had someone on the other end of an invisible line. Someone to update and get updates from, to inform of a comic discovery, to imagine while dancing in a lonely basement, and to return to, finally, when the music stopped."

Isn't that what we all want?

No comments:

Post a Comment