Sunday, April 14, 2013

Wooden by John Wooden


Two posts in two weeks. I'm getting back on track. This one is going to be short because I'm tired, but that does not take away from the book. I've owned Wooden for quite some time and this was probably my tenth time reading it. It's one of those books that I can read over and over and still enjoy it every time.

Wooden is broken up into three parts. The first is about family and values, the second is on success and achievement, and the third is on coaching and teaching. The subtitle explains it well: "A lifetime of observations and reflections on and off the court." The book is written in short blurbs, sometimes a paragraph, sometimes a page. They are on a variety of topics. Coach Wooden shares numerous stories from his life and his teams. You can open the book to any page and start reading...there is no real story line throughout the book.

Obviously this is right up my alley in terms of basketball and coaching. But everything in the book applies to way more than basketball and coaching. It applies to all aspects of life. Coach Wooden was incredibly humble and smart. Everything he did had a purpose. Everyone should have their own values, but Coach Wooden's are a perfect example of what values should look like.

If I was stranded on an island for the rest of my life, this is one of the books I would want with me. (This hypothetical may be good for a post in and of itself.)

My rating for Wooden: 5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment