Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher



This is a work of fiction, but it seems like it could be real. Too real. A high school girl, Hannah, commits suicide and leaves behind tapes with the thirteen reasons why she took her life. The reasons are really thirteen people who caused her agony in life. The tapes are passed along amongst the thirteen people at the request of Hannah. One of the boys mentioned in the tapes, Clay, narrates the story as he listens to them.

The book is written in a style different than most. Each chapter is one side of a cassette (or one reason). As Clay presses play on the tape, Hannah’s narration is in italics. Clay’s thoughts are expressed in regular font while the tape is playing. When Clay pauses the tapes, there are more descriptions of his where-abouts and interactions with other characters. I will give you advance notice that the book is written completely from a high schooler’s perspective.

I find it hard to discuss books like this on the blog. The issues are very sensitive. The book provides an opportunity to discuss matters. It received a lot of praise and acclaim especially for students. But even I wonder if it’s too much.

After I finish reading the next few books I have on my shelf, I am going to steer towards more positive books. All these sad books are too depressing to read.

My rating for Thirteen Reasons Why: 3 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment