Sunday, May 20, 2012

B by Sarah Kay


I really, really wanted to post this last week for Mother's Day, but the book didn't arrive from Amazon in time. B is one poem. It's not that long. Literally it takes less than five minutes to read. Plus the poem is online. So why did I buy it? I see it as a way to support the author. Plus, I think it's neat to have the book. I will definitely be passing it along at my year-end Christmas giveaway.

Sarah Kay wrote the poem B. She also performs it. As in spoken work poetry. You may or may not have heard of this, but you should. She started at the age of fourteen in New York City and has blossomed into one of the most well-known performers. She has started a program to encourage spoken word poetry in schools and other venues. Simply reading the book B does not do it justice. You can watch Sarah Kay perform B here. I highly encourage it (and it's only three minutes long).

So what's the poem about? It starts with, "If I should have a daughter," offering advice that a mother would give to her daughter. The life lessons apply to everyone. It's witty, funny, smart, and entertaining. One of my favorite parts is: 

And I'm going to paint the solar systems 
on the backs of her hands,
so she has to learn the entire universe before she can say, 
"Oh, I know that like the back of my hand."

I think that gives a solid idea of what B is about. It's full of similar analogies and metaphors. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I find poetry interesting. I don't know of much poetry out there, but I'm expecting Sarah Kay to keep writing and delivering for many years to come.

My rating for B: 4 stars out of 5. Get it here!

P.S. Today was a double post! Check out the movie review of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo below.

No comments:

Post a Comment