Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Art of Possibility by Benjamin Zander


Short disclaimer to start: the book is authored by Benjamin Zander and his wife Rosamund Stone Zander. I didn't feel like writing both of their names in the title above. With that being said, the book sucked. One of my personal rules for a book I am reviewing is to try to read the first hundred pages before giving up. I struggled to make it that far in The Art of Possibility.

The book provides advice on how believing in possibility can change your perspective on life. There are a set of practices to guide your thinking, ranging from 'giving yourself an A' to 'not being full of yourself'. Mostly Ben and Roz share personal stories that reflect these practices. I will admit a few of the stories were interesting. However, most of them did not add much value to the practices they were describing. I did not find it inspiring or motivating at all and I did not think he did a good job making me believe his message. Frankly I thought it was a waste of time which is why I didn't finish.

That's really all I have to say about the book. A little background on why I chose to read this...I found it in a co-worker's car. I instantly recognized the author as the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra. I was also intrigued by the fact my co-worker said the book was given to each employee in his department. I like the idea of providing a motivational/inspiring book to employees. From that perspective, I think this book was an okay handout. I have a feeling there are more engaging and invigorating books out there.

My rating for The Art of Possibility: 1 star out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment