Sunday, August 4, 2013

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


A friend asked me my opinion of Gone Girl. While I had heard of the book, I didn't have any interest in reading it. But since she asked, I decided I'd give it a go. My course of action was to take a bite - read the first few chapters - and if I liked it, I'd finish it. Not going to lead you on...I only took a bite.

The plot itself is neat. A husband and wife move back to Missouri after losing their jobs in New York City. They are celebrating their five year anniversary when something goes terribly wrong. While Nick (the husband) goes to work, Amy (the wife) disappears. The house is shaken up and clearly she didn't leave on her own. Nick reports her missing to the police, but he lies often and doesn't appear to be a grief-stricken husband. Could he be a killer?

After reading the first 75 pages, it wasn't for me. Here's why. I wanted to find out what happened to Amy. I did. The style was cool, too. The story happens in real time from Nick's perspective. At the same time, we get to read Amy's old diary entries. But I couldn't bear to read the author's writing. I thought it was terrible. Amazon declared her "one of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time". Maybe for coming up with good plots. It can't possibly be for her writing. On one of the first pages, I counted a sentence with 12 commas. They were all used to separate phrases. The sentence was truly a paragraph. There was so many adjectives I found it hard to read. It's as if she was trying too hard. It's unfortunate that this takes away from a solid plot.

My rating for Gone Girl: Did not finish. Get it here.

P.S. Back to back weeks with the main character being named Nick. Is there another book I could read with the main character named Nick?

No comments:

Post a Comment