Sunday, August 7, 2016

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll


Luckiest Girl Alive was recommended to me with the advice to not look up anything about the book. I have to admit I would say the same thing if someone else wanted to read this book. The main character, Ani, has a shocking past. On the surface she appears put together with a fancy job in New York city with a breadwinning husband. But things happened during her high school years that still privately haunt her.

The first few stories Ani shares are not too surprising. As the book progressed, I became shocked that this is how the story turned. I did not see it coming at all, especially the ending. It literally hits you out of nowhere, as the chapters alternate between Ani's current life and her high school years.

At the beginning, it was easy to root for Ani. In the middle, I began to feel bad and sympathize with her. Towards the end, it was hard for me to say if I was a fan of her or not. That might sound harsh, but I feel like Ani drifts away from this innocent little girl we met at the beginning. I closed the book with mixed emotions about her.

Tough blog to write without giving anything away, especially when I'm just getting back into the flow of things. I'd say this works if you're looking for something to read on the beach, but I have a feeling there's better stuff out there.

My rating for Luckiest Girl Alive: 2.5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

P.S. I have a bunch of random stuff to share in the coming weeks. I think I'll use the "p.s." space to do it...it would be cool if I had a name for it, something like "Nick's Weekly Tidbit" (although that is NOT a cool name). I finished reading Luckiest Girl Alive before heading to Delaware for vacation. I'm proud to say I finished four books on the beach, which means lots of reviews coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment