Sunday, February 19, 2017

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty


Big Little Lies was recommended by a female friend a few months ago. I had it on my bookshelf for a while but it was never at the top of my list. Then I read an article last week that it was going to be adapted as a television series on HBO, starring Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman (it actually debuts tonight). Whenever books intertwine with the mainstream I like to post a review about the book. So I had to read Big Little Lies. Remember that this review is from a guy's perspective, although I will try to be open minded.

The book starts six months prior to a murder that has occurred in a small, competitive town where the moms are way too into themselves. I have never seen it, but think Sex in the City. There are a lot of characters at the beginning, but it becomes easy to catch on. The twist with the murder is the reader does not know who has been killed (we do not find out until the end).

At the end of each chapter - the chapters are short - there are interviews and statements made to police after the murder, although it sounds more like gossip. As you read, you learn more about the relationships and motivations, as well as how easily things can be misconstrued. You are trying to figure out who was murdered and who was involved. The style and layout made for a great murder mystery feel where you do not want to stop reading.

The middle goes a little on the dark / heavy side. I guess I can understand since it's a chick book. The author does a good job keeping it relevant to the story. I have to give credit where credit is due: I did not see how everything would come together. I definitely did not predict who did it. The only part I did not like was the very end (biting my tongue so I do not spoil anything).

Some chicks are definitely like the characters in the book. In fact, I know a few ha. Most women will like this book (a good beach read). Guys, I'm not so sure this one is for them.

My rating for Big Little Lies: 4 stars out of 5. Get it here!

P.S. Next week will be a unique blog. Two of my cousins and I started a small book club. First meeting is next Sunday. I'll provide my normal review of the book we read as well as my thoughts on participating in my first book club. Exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment