Sunday, March 6, 2022

Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss

 

I saw this book somewhere a while ago, eventually purchased it, and then it sat on my bookshelf for a while. I suggested this for my work book club at the end of last year and it was chosen. However, it took folks quite a while to read. Don't infer this is a hard read - it's not - people were just busy and slow to read.

Never Split the Difference is about negotiation tactics and strategies. The author, Chris Voss, was a former FBI hostage negotiator who started his own consulting firm on negotiating. In the book, he discusses what he learned over the years. It is interesting to see how he, and the FBI, refined and improved their strategies over the years from real world experiences.

The book provides good tips such as mirroring (repeating a statement as a question), paraphrasing, and labeling. Using phrases like "it seems like", "it sounds like", and starting questions with how and what ("how am I supposed to do that"). Another example stuck with me regarding how sometimes no deal is better than a bad deal or compromising - if debating to where black shoes or brown shoes, you compromise and wear one of each.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The stories were very interesting and there are good lessons learned. There are summaries at the end of each chapter, which I always like. I will wrap up by saying I am sharing this book with my dad next.

My rating for Never Split the Difference: 4 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment