Sunday, June 2, 2013

Movie Review: Silver Linings Playbook



Haven't done one of these movie reviews in a while. It's kind of random too. I haven't actually read The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick. I prefer to read the book before watching the movie but the movie looked really good, it was nominated for and won a bunch of awards, plus it had Jennifer Lawrence.

The story starts with Pat getting out of a mental health facility after an eight month stint. He ended up there after an incident stemming  from walking in on his wife cheating on him. When he gets out, he is determined to win back his wife, who has a restraining order against him. Pat meets Tiffany at a dinner party, who is a recent widow with her own set of crazy problems. She tells Pat she's willing to help him win back his wife if he enters a dance competition with her. That's the gist of the story.

The first thing that stands out is the acting. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were phenomenal. She won an Oscar for Best Actress, but frankly I thought Bradley Cooper was even better. The movie is mostly a drama, but there is some comedy and definitely the romantic angle. The characters speak without any filter, often times leading to uncomfortable situations. But as the movie progresses, you find yourself rooting for both of them and hoping neither screws up.

Given that I didn't read the book, I can't say much about the comparison between the two. I may give it a read though. If I do, I will probably reference some stuff from the movie.

My rating for the movie Silver Linings Playbook: 4.5 stars out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment