Sunday, June 30, 2013

Big Data by Viktor Mayer-Schonberger and Kenneth Cukier


Really struggling right now. As you know, I haven't been reading as much this year. Hoping to change that. Took my test last week, went out and bought a bunch of books. Then my laptop dies. So yes, I'm writing this on a tablet. I actually have a few books in the pipeline as I've had some on my wishlist for a long time and friends have been recommending books. Anyways, onto Big Data.

Going to cut straight to the chase. I didn't finish the book. Fell about forty pages short. The book is about how data already is and will continue to change the world. I don't think the idea is all that revolutionary. If you follow the news/internet you would recognize this. Books I have previously read also shared a lot of the points that were in this book. Frankly, I didn't find Big Data all that insightful.

The writing was very repetitive. I thought the authors did a poor job coming across with any significant takeaways. Even the flow of the book seemed scattered, as if random musings were fused together. About the only thing I learned was some historical technological innovations.

One thing that I want to share is in Big Data, written at the beginning of this year, they disclose the NSA is recording e-mails, phone calls, and other communications. They site a 2010 Washington Post investigation. Interesting how it took nearly three years for the entire thing to blow up and become part of the mainstream media.

Overall, the book is a waste of time. If you are interested in data, there are better books out there.

My rating for Big Data: 1  star out of 5. Get it here!

P.S. It's hard to insert pictures or links on the tablet. Hoping to find a computer before next Sunday. I'll update this post for that stuff once I get a laptop.

Updated on Saturday, July 13th (pictures, links, italics)

No comments:

Post a Comment