Sunday, March 12, 2017

Classic Movies


Somewhat of a filler post as I am reading ESPN: Those Guys Have All The Fun, which is nearly 800 pages. Here is the background on why I'm posting a review on "Classic Movies". At work I'm on the younger side and my co-workers often reference movies from the 80's and 90's, many of which I have never seen. Last year for my birthday they each made a list of their top 5 classic movies.

There were a few I had already seen, but I had my work cut out. Over the last year, I have been watching movies whenever I had time, either on TV or Netflix. Some movies were hard to find (not surprising given many of them are nearly 30 years old). I've made one final push as my birthday is approaching. Here are the classic movies I've watched in the last year:

Dazed and Confused - A movie about nothing (ok, really about high school kids on the last day of school). The coolest thing about this movie was seeing the start of famous actors - Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, and Milla Jovovich to name a few. Also a great soundtrack.

Office Space - Hating your job, doing nothing, and still getting promoted?! Seeing all the old technology (floppy disks!) made me laugh.

Reservoir Dogs - Reminded me of The Usual Suspects. Good movie with a great twist at the end.

Good Will Hunting - Solid movie all around. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were kids in this one.

Pulp Fiction - The dialogue is good, but the story is bleh. I'm surprised this is a classic movie - it's good, but doesn't knock my socks off. It did have many great actors.

Caddyshack - A fun, goofy movie. I have never seen a caddy in my life ha. I think it would be cool to use a caddy. I can see how this is a classic, although I may be biased because I golf.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Smart aleck who skips school and cons his way through a memorable day. Some parts were a little over the top, but this was my favorite "classic" I watched.

E.T. - I have to admit I probably saw this as a kid. Obviously knew what it was about. After watching, this definitely formed stereotypes of space and aliens for many years.

Grosse Pointe Blank - This was a crime comedy, which is a weird mix, starring John Cusack. One of the few on the list that I had not heard of.

That's what I was able to find and watch in the last year. If you're bored on a rainy day or just want to stay in for a night, put on a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment