Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Brothers Bulger by Howie Carr


I love to pick books off of friends' shelves. I get to learn what types of books they like to read. Often times these books are older so I can either reminisce about something I read or find a hidden gem. When I was over my cousin's house I found The Brothers Bulger, which sounded like it would be right up my alley.

The Brothers Bulger is a documentary-like book detailing the rise and fall of the Bulger brothers in Boston. Whitey Bulger was a vicious criminal of every sorts who was on the FBI's most wanted list. His brother Billy was a powerful politician as the president of the Massachusetts State Senate. Howie Carr, the author, was a reporter in Boston who often wrote about both men. He tells tales of Whitey and Billy, FBI investigations, cover-ups, political wrangling, gangs, crime, and everything in between.

Being from Massachusetts, I knew about Whitey Bulger, but I didn't really know all the details. I knew his brother was a typical politician, but once again I didn't really know all the details. It made for a very interesting read for me, especially as I recognized many names that eventually became involved in politics or other roles in Massachusetts. I could not believe the involvement of the FBI, state police, and local police. My one issue with the author is once in a while he would slip in a personal comment rather than simply presenting facts and remaining unbiased. I should also point out the book was written in 2003, which means Whitey was not yet captured.

Older folks who lived through the Bulger era will know the story but may not know all the details. The younger generation probably has an idea of Whitey from The Departed, the movie loosely based on Whitey Bulger. No matter what one knows or does not know, the reader will find The Brothers Bulger to be a fascinating read.

My rating for The Brothers Bulger: 4 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment