Sunday, June 11, 2017

Make Your Bed by Admiral William H. McRaven


A Father's Day special here. My dad asked for this book as a Father's Day gift. Not knowing anything about it, I figured I would read it before giving it to him next week. This task was made even easier once the book arrived from Amazon and it was the size of a card with pretty big font and only 100 pages. Also good for those who don't really like to read : )

Admiral William H. McRaven had a long career in the Navy. A few years ago, he gave the commencement speech at the University of Texas. It went so well that his speech was turned into this book. Make Your Bed, with the subtitle "little things that can change your life...and maybe the world", expands upon the stories and ten lessons shared during the commencement speech. The lessons are simple, but we often forget the most simple principles to live by.

The first point in the book is to make your bed. He explains the tradition of making your bed in the military, which I'm sure many people know. The message is not about actually making your bed, but accomplishing a small task first thing in the morning. Starting your day on the right foot. Taking pride in even the most simple tasks. And if you have a bad day, at least your return to a bed well made.

In my opinion, the "make your bed" lesson was the best one of the ten lessons in the book. The book ends with the script from his commencement speech. Truthfully, I liked that better than the expanded version in the book. That being said, the book is selling very well and I recognize this is a way to capitalized off of a successful viral moment (although I am sure he was paid handsomely as the speaker).

In summary, not the best book but also not the worst book. I do think it makes for a good Father's Day gift. I hope my dad enjoys it!

My rating for Make Your Bed: 2.5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment