Sunday, January 17, 2021

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

 

I often saw Sapiens recommended on various sites over the past few years and thought it sounded interesting, but other books had higher priority on my list. I finally ordered it online, using a Barnes & Noble gift-card (separate story on that at the end of the blog). When it arrived, it was like a textbook - thick and heavy.

Sapiens is a detailed account of humans, from the very beginning. He really covers everything: biology, religion, political structures, capitalism, happiness, and more. The book is in chronological order, taking the reader through what he describes as the Cognitive, Agricultural, and Scientific Revolutions. The book ends with a climactic prediction of where the future is going.

It is a very insightful book from a historical perspective. I certainly learned a lot. I found myself asking my wife "did you know..." quite a bit. The author makes many connections and tries to provide explanations linking one thing to the next. I believe those who write about history intertwine their own view at times, and one could make that argument in Sapiens, but I really appreciated the author admitting this at times and acknowledging the uncertainty.

The downside of this book is it is long and weighs a ton, which probably intimidates most readers. It honestly might be the heaviest book I have ever read. But once you open the book, it is an enjoyable, easy read with intermittent jokes and current day comparisons.

My rating for Sapiens: 4 stars out of 5. Get it here!

Bonus: Online ordering at Barnes & Noble. I have an affinity for Barnes & Noble as I used their cafe for years studying for exams. After finishing exams, I got a membership and prefer to buy books in person. With some of their recent changes, I have found it hard to find books I want in the store, so I thought I would give online ordering a shot since I was looking to add about 5 books to my collection. Their website was a disaster. I struggled to enter my membership number, I struggled to check out, I struggled to use a gift-card. I honestly wasn't sure my order went through. It pains me to say this, but I cannot recommend anyone order books online from Barnes & Noble. Hopefully they get their website figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment