Sunday, November 27, 2016

Two by Two by Nicholas Sparks


Two by Two is Nicholas Sparks' 20th book. When I first started reading, I was a big fan of Nicholas Sparks. I have 17 of his 20 books on my bookshelf. I even went to a book signing in Harvard Square to meet him. So yes, you can call me a superfan. But the truth is his books have become very predictable and I have not enjoyed reading them the last few years. I decided to give Two by Two a shot since it's his 20th book and because it sounded different than some of his other books.

The story is about a man who seems to have a perfect life - a good job, married with a loving daughter, and everything going his way. But things change quickly. He struggles to start his own business. His wife becomes distant, which we later find out is her having an affair and eventually wanting a divorce. Thus a journey begins of him being a single parent and growing his business. Not to mention some unexpected extended family issues. And it would not be a Nicholas Sparks book without an old flame coming back into the picture.

This is Nicholas Sparks' longest book by far. He really develops the characters. The main character, Russell, is the definition of soft. He acts innocent, naive, romantic. He gets walked all over. He drives a Prius. Maybe girls will like him, but as a guy I'm just shaking my head. His daughter is awesome, although I may be biased as I love kids. The ex-wife seems crazy while his old flame seems perfect.

I want to say the outcome is predictable, and for the most part it is, but the ending shifts unexpectedly. The first 400 pages are one story and the last 75 pages are another. You want to know the ending to the first part...it turns out to be told in a few pages in the epilogue. Definitely a strange ending giving how elaborate and detailed the rest of the book was.

Overall, I would say this was better than some of his other recent books, but it does not compare to his first few hits. And the ending could have been stronger.

My rating for Two by Two: 3 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment