Sunday, December 4, 2016

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes


Me Before You has been out for a while. In fact, it has already been made into a movie. I am not sure why, but I just never read it. After wandering through Barnes and Noble looking for books to read, I finally decided to give it a shot. I have to say I wish I read it sooner.

Me Before You is about a girl, Lou, in her mid-twenties who has an average / boring life: boyfriend, close family, never left her town, and struggling after losing her barista job. She finds a new job working for a wealthy man named Will, who is wheelchair-bound after an accident. He was always a thrill seeker - traveling, extreme sports, living life on the edge. But trapped in his wheelchair, he is miserable and rude.

Lou quickly discovers that Will tried to take his own life shortly before she started working for him. He wants to die. There is an assisted-suicide facility in Switzerland that he wants to go to, but he promises his parents 6 more months. Lou was hired for 6 months with the goal of showing him that life is still worth living.

This is more than I would normally share about a book, but I did so because this dilemma is a hard one to think about. On one hand, every day and every life is worth living to the fullest. But on the other, if you were in those shoes you can imagine how hard life would be. It is fascinating to think about.

Of course, there is more to this book than just that. Chicks loved this because it turns into a romance story that everyone can see coming from a mile away. Although I have to say the ending did surprise me a bit (I mean that in a good way).

My rating for Me Before You: 4.5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment