Saturday, December 24, 2016

A Life Well Played by Arnold Palmer


I like golf. I started playing in high school. I try to play once a week in the summer now. The last two years I have been in a fantasy golf league that has forced me to learn about more players and courses. But I do not know a lot of golf history. So when I saw A Life Well Played as I was walking around Barnes & Noble I thought it was a great reading choice.

The book is all about Arnold Palmer, divided up into three parts - golf, life, and business. I have to admit, there is so much I did not know about Arnold Palmer. He won a ton, but he finished in second place even more. He created the modern day "grand slam" in golf - the Masters, British Open, US Open, and PGA. He was incredibly smart and ahead of his time with advertising and endorsing. He owns many golf courses. He helped launch the Golf Channel. And of course everyone knows the iced tea - lemonade mix that he created (famously known as an Arnold Palmer).

Most impressively to me was how humble he seemed. His dad was a huge influence in his life, working on a golf course and teaching him how to play the game of golf. Arnold Palmer never forgot where he came from. He was thankful for everything in his life and seemed to truly enjoy it. It is sad to say that shortly after the book was released, Arnold Palmer passed away.

My rating for A Life Well Played: 4.5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

P.S. This book reminded me of Wooden by John Wooden. The way the book was structured, the lifetime of reflection, both having great character. People everyone can aspire to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment