Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Red Bandanna by Tom Rinaldi


I was hesitant to buy The Red Bandanna. I know the story because ESPN created a 10 minute mini-documentary a few years ago and it airs every September 11th. It is impossible to watch and not get teary eyed. The man, Welles Crowther, is a true hero. He probably could have escaped the south tower and survived. Instead, he kept going back up flights of stairs to help others get to the only working elevator. Unfortunately, he did not make it out. The survivors did not know his name, but they recognized the red bandanna in his back pocket - something he always carried around.

It wasn't that I was hesitant because I knew the story. Rather, I didn't want to buy the book simply to fill the pockets of Tom Rinaldi and ESPN. So I passed. The next time I went to Barnes & Noble I changed my mind and decided I had to give it a shot.

The beginning of the book is very detailed about the background of Welles growing up and where he came from. Being honest, this part was less interesting. The second half of the book picks up as it relives September 11th. Even harder to swallow (and read) is the days, weeks, and months afterwards. It is impossible to finish The Red Bandanna without a tear coming down.

While I generally dislike books that come out after a movie, this case was different. One major difference is the book shares all of the good things that came after the ESPN mini-documentary. I also thought there was more detail. I felt that it hit me harder as I was reading through it.

Everyone should know about Welles Crowther and his story. If you do not like to read, then at a minimum you should watch the ESPN clip. And if you have already seen the ESPN clip, I still highly recommended reading the book.

My rating for The Red Bandanna: 5 stars out of 5. Get it here!

P.S. Next week I will do a review for my top books of 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment