Sunday, January 15, 2017

Narcos on Netflix


I have been conflicted about posting reviews on TV shows, but my thought is I am spending time watching shows instead of reading. And I don't watch that many shows. So when I find a good one then I might as well share it. Narcos fits that bill.

Narcos is a two season series on Netflix, basically reenacting the life of Pablo Escobar. If you don't know who he was, then google him. His life was incredibly fascinating as at one point he was one of the richest men in the world from leading a drug cartel. It is not necessarily his wealth, but how he did it. I was first introduced to his story in a 30 for 30 on ESPN (The Two Escobars). Since then, I have read articles and heard stories that only increased my fascination with his life.

The show is narrated from the viewpoint of an American DEA agent who goes to Columbia to help apprehend the drug cartels. He is partnered with a local detective. We get to see both sides - the detective's pursuit and Pablo's dealings. Season 1 goes really fast as the detectives get closer and closer. Season 2 slows down a bit and you can probably guess the ending since there are only two seasons.

The last thing I need to mention is a lot of this is in subtitles, as they are in Columbia and most of the characters speak Spanish. I know this can be a turnoff for some people, but there is really no way around it given the story. I would still highly recommended Narcos if you are interested in this kinda thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment